I really like the quote from the co-founder of Twitter, Jack Dorsey, who said: “Make every detail perfect and limit the number of details to perfect.” Therefore, in this article I will not go into the details of the typo brand-book, I will tell you what you need to make your business have a strong, consistent brand, ok? Get Ready!
When creating a new brand or preparing a good re-branding, you need to remember the pillars, the basics of company identification. I will not be talking about what needs to be done BEFORE designing the brand or re-branding, that is solid work on the core of the company, its deep foundations. How to work on the source, the core of the company, I will prepare a separate article on this subject, now I assume that you know exactly what your company is for, its mission, vision, values, key associations and development strategy. As you already have the above elements, then you can proceed to work. By yourself, with a small team, or with a professional support ;)
How to create a catchy business name?
What do you need to know first?
You can go one of at least 5 ways to create a good company name:
- Descriptive name. You can choose a name that will explain what it is, what your business does. It is a more conservative way and you can reach the customer’s consciousness as a more generic brand but it will be easier to position and promote such a company with ads, positioning and search engines (MasterCard, Freshbooks, Whole Foods, Hotels.com).
- Suggestive name that contains some kind of association, suggestion what a client can expect from your company (Twitter, Pinterest, Airbnb)
- Innovative, imaginary name. Here you will try to create a completely new word that will become synonymous with your company over time (think Google, Amazon, Instagram)
- Names. Founders, historical figures, mythological heroes. Such a name is a strong combination of the personal brand of the founders and the company. In the case of historical and mythical characters, you show what values and emotions lie behind your company (think Nike, Dolce & Gabbana, Ford, Tesla)
- Acronym names. That is a conglomeration of letters, which usually has some basis and development, but it often turns out that over time the development of such an acronym says nothing (or is misleading) in any case sounds very corporate, enigmatic and is an invitation to the discussion (think IBM, HSBC, KFC, HP)
OK, so how to create a great brand name?
- The free way:
You can spend some time alone or with other founders or even a group of friends and you can come up with a name for your brand together. You can use associations and comparisons. You can also help with free programs to generate your company name, such as Business Name Generator.
- The cheap way:
You can use the help of freelancers. By searching for people with a sufficiently high reputation for upWork or Fiverr. Thanks to this, you will start work on your name under the supervision of a person who deals mainly with content and text, so she will be able to contribute to the preparation of a beautiful name for you.
- The right way:
In my opinion, working with a person who with appropriate sensitivity and talent will lean over your company, conduct a detailed interview and then using your team, talents and experience, together with you will prepare such a name is the best solution. Then you know that the name comes from you, but it is prepared by people with high sensitivity and experience, which will translate into the quality and effectiveness of your name. So you can always search for a branding agency in your area, or call us :)
I planned to describe all the elements of building a brand in one article, but when preparing materials and writing themes I saw how extensive the topic is, that’s why I decided to divide it into several smaller articles focused on individual elements of building the company’s visual identity. This series of articles includes:
- How to create a great brand name?
- How to create a great business logo?
- How to create a useful business website?
- How to create slick business cards & stuff?
- How to brand your business in social media?
So stay tuned as articles will be released weekly, to stay informed click here.
PS. I believe in you! You are awesome!